Goodbye to the Pirate Room

I've created a monster, a man-monster. It's true, you can teach an old dog new tricks...maybe. Bub has recently taken a job with a new oil field company and his "hitches" are in town...which means he's home ALL the time.  While this is fabulous, it also means that I don't get those two weeks of creating crazy crafting shit messes all over the house.  I guess I could try, but his OCD might take over and then we'd all be in trouble.  This also means that he doesn't think his two weeks at home are a vacation.  Yes, he used to spend half of the year thinking he was on vacation.

We've lived in our house for two years and we've started a couple small remodel projects that have never made it to fruition. (Read: our double shower was demolished and is a naked array of studs, just waiting for gorgeous new tile)  Tons of Fun, as I lovingly refer to my dear husband ,has been on a mission the last few weeks.  At first, I just laughed it off and figured his enthusiasm would die down. His first order of business was to install a ceiling fan above the dining room table to replace a light that I've despised since the day we moved in. Check.  He then moved onto a new ceiling fan in the bedroom to replace our beloved disco ball.  Yes, there was an operable disco ball in our bedroom, don't judge. 

I figure, after he completed those two things he will move onto the shower.  Nope, not a chance.  He moved onto the pirate room.  Pirate room, you say?  Yes, when we moved in, there was a fantastic mural on one wall that entailed a fishing boat, surfer (?), and a giant pirate ship.  It was fabulous and we loved it...but we don't have kids, so really are these guests enjoying the pirate ship?  Well, one couple might...they made a baby in the pirate room a few months ago.  :)

But I digress, back to the "work" - it seemed benign at first...he painted the room a gorgeous java color. I thought, "oh, look at this fabulous guest room".  Then, a few days ago, I came home early from work and discovered him playing MLB 2012 in the pirate room...it seemed that he had taken over the room.  I laughed at him and thought it was cute.  Fast forward a week...the room is still a lovely color, but there's a tv mounted on the wall, softball hats and photos litter every available surface, and I've now been informed that it's a man room.  He immediately posted on Facebook that he wanted to get rid of a king size bed (our guest bed) and has plans for a kick-ass man couch/sleeper.  In fact, they are probably ordered and he has a man date planned.  What the foxtrot did I get myself into?

At this point, I'm seriously worried.  What if he tries to go into my office or my shop and try to "organize".  His OCD organizing would mean a 10 yard dumpster would arrive in our driveway and all of my hoarding crafting/sewing/woodworking supplies would be tossed.  Or I may be back to square one and his butt will be planted on some crazy couch in the pirate man room.  Oh boy.

Comments

Sarah Boice said…
Where are the photos of the pirate room?!

Popular Posts